We are proud to be a Make it Safe dealer and fully support the British Blind and Shutter Association (BBSA)’s Make It Safe campaign.
We are compliant with the child safety requirements of BS EN 13120:2009+A1:2014
Since its launch, the Make It Safe campaign has pressed for safer window blinds and the promotion of safety for all window treatments.
The Make It Safe campaign is endorsed by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) and the Child Accident Prevent Trust (CAPT) and referenced by many other organisations.
As an Make it Safe Dealer we have been involved in the Make It Safe campaign and the changes required in the way internal blinds are made, sold and professionally installed.
Under the General Product Safety Regulations the new standards place a legal responsibility on all suppliers and professional installers to:
- Provide safety devices to reduce the risk of any cords or chains which could create a hazardous loop
- Test all safety critical items of internal blinds
- Test blinds using safety devices
- Observe maximum cord and chain lengths
- Provide specific warnings and instructions
- Provide information on packaging and at point of sale
- Fit safety devices when professionally installing blinds
There are extensive ranges of products that are safe by design, meaning that they do not use operating cords or chains or have concealed or tensioned cords. We strongly recommend that these products are always considered first when you are buying new blinds for homes or public buildings.
If you require blinds that have operating cords or chains please note the new regulations will mean cord and chain lengths are determined by the revised standards, and where a safety device is needed we will have to install the device, by law.